- Plan ahead on where you will be spending the 4th and see if you can carpool with friends. Check online for the nearest fireworks site and either take a romantic stroll or bike there to save gas, parking frustration and to burn off the days grub!
- Make smarter drinking choices like juices with organic liquor, organic wines and beers and most of all, drink responsibly.
- Opt to make a healthy dish to bring to the festivities. Pre-packaged sides and snacks are full of preservatives and unpronounceable ingredients. If you can't cook, bring organic bagged lettuce, organic dressing, a big bowl and you've brought a healthy side everyone will appreciate ; )
- And try one of these vegan friendly treats:
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium veggie broth or water
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or infused oil
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon, parsley or thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring broth (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan; add couscous, olive oil (or infused oil), tomatoes and tarragon (or parsley or thyme). Stir, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Red, White, and Blueberry Freezee
1 c Vegan Whipping cream
1/2 c Frozen blueberries
1 ds Lemon juice
1 x Sugar to taste
Small Strawberries for garnish
Mix together the whipping cream, blueberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a blender.
Top with a few strawberries. If you would like to spike it, a little rum should do the trick!
- Soy butter, soy margarine or vegan baker's spray
- One package (2 layer size) of vegan white cake mix (plus ingredients to make the cake --- listed on the box)
- One package (4 serving size) red vegan jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 1/2 cups (8 ounce container) vegan Hip Whip or other vegan whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pint strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries, washed
- 1 cup vegan miniature marshmallows
Have a very happy and safe 4th!!