If you want an affordable, mini-getaway:
- Camp by the beach - Frolic one more time in the sea, pack sandwiches and/or bbq foods along with your camping gear. Spend the night under the stars while the ocean sounds sing you to sleep.
- Organize a hike or bike trip - Gather up your friends and find a local hiking, biking or outdoor activity park or town. Make the most of the outdoors while getting in some exercise, taking in nature and snackin' on some yummy treats. Rent a cabin if you are heading to a specific area as with big groups, it's a lot cheaper to share a house with a kitchen. Not to mention a lot more fun!
If you're sticking around town:
- Host a game day & movie night - Have friends pop on over for a potluck or bbq. Host a tournament day that can involve all ages like a bean bag toss or a scavenger hunt. If you start late and go into the evening, project a movie on a wall and gather around to watch a flick under the stars.
Virgin Pina Colada Popsicles
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 cups Pineapple juice
- 1 banana
Pour ingredients into a blender and puree. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze at least 4 hours.
Lavender Grapefruit Martini
(c) 2008, Natalie Bovis-Nelsen The Liquid Muse
1 1/2 ounces organic Vodka
1 heaping teaspoon organic lavender-honey syrup (can be made with agave nectar as well)
2 ounces freshly squeezed organic grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed organic lime juice
1 organic edible flower
Lavender Honey Syrup: Heat 1/2 cup lavender honey (substitute with lavender infused agave nectar) and 1/4 cup water in a small sauce pan. Stir until boiling. Let cool. Set aside.
Pour ingredients into cocktail shaker, add ice. Shake vigorously, then strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with an edible flower or lime wheel.
- 1/2 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Let sit for an hour.
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 2 green onions, diced finely
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup of toasted peanuts
- 1/2 lb cooked soba noodles
Grilled Tempeh Peanut Satay
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp agave
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 lb of tempeh, steamed for 20 min
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp sherry
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
Puree orange juice with only half of the agave, coconut, tamari and cayenne pepper in a blender. Cut tempeh into 2 cm cubes and add to marinade. Set aside for 1 hour.
Blend remainder of agave, tamari and cayenne pepper together with the peanut butter, sherry, vinegar, garlic powder and soy yogurt. Refrigerate.
Thread tempeh cubes onto 4 skewers. Grill tempeh over medium-hot grill 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Brush kebabs with marinade and sprinkle with remaining coconut. Serve the tempeh kebabs with peanut sauce.
Ginger Mint Caipirinha Cooler
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 1 sprig mint
- 2 ounces cachaça (or rum if you can't find cachaça)
- 1 quarter-sized slice raw ginger
Muddle lime with ginger syrup and mint. Add cachaça, shake and pour over ice. Add a raw ginger wedge for garnish.
Virgin Recipe :
- 1/2 diced lime
- 1/2 small diced lemon
- 1/2 small diced orange
- 1 sugar cube
- ginger ale
- fresh mint